Sunday, April 11, 2010

THE DRIVE-INS :D

I would say my rough theatre would be the Drive Ins. I grew up in a little country town in northern Vermont, twenty minutes from the Canadian border. It is the ideal situation on a warm summer night to head to the Drive-Ins with a group of friends on their T-RUCKS. Packing for the drive-ins is like packing for a vacation. You pack bug spray, a cooler full of ice with beer or soda (your preference), chips, candy, sleeping bag, blankets, pillow, sweatshirts, etc. When entering the Drive-Ins to pay you pull up to a toll booth looking thing and pay as if it’s a drive-thru restaurant. It’s so neat that they hand you a paper of the different screen numbers and tell you what station to sync your radio up with. It’s so old school and I love it! Once we got to the Drive-Ins we would back up our trucks so that the bed is facing the screen. The goal was to create a mound of blankets in the bed of truck and everyone would lay down for the movie. The whole atmosphere is surreal. I love lying under the stars and enjoying nature, the sounds of the crickets, the wind, and the shadows created by the moon, but at the same time I was watching a movie. And this was the type of movie theatre you could actually talk to your friends during! It was like you were camping out, but with some technology. Doesn’t get any better! I think it’s awesome how you get to stay for two movies too, unlike if you went to an indoor theatre where they would kick you out if you tried to stay for another movie. I absolutely love the atmosphere of the drive-ins. It’s something that brings me back to my childhood and I try to go every summer when I go home to visit my parents. It’s hard living in the city here in Wilmington and a lot of people haven’t even heard of the drive-ins before. It’s definitely an experience I feel that everyone should try!

No comments:

Post a Comment